Saichania belongs to the genus of Ankylosaurid dinosaurs that lived in a desert environment. Some of the specimens recovered were not in a good condition and are most likely difficult to investigate. It was discovered along with the remains of other dinosaurs such as Protoceratops, Tarbosaurus and Velociraptor.
|What does Saichania mean?||Saichania means “beautiful one”. This dinosaur got its name from Teresa Maryanska in 1977. It was named based on a local Mongolian word that means “beautiful”.|
|On the menu||Herbivore|
|Length||5.2 m to 7.0 m (17 ft to 23 ft)|
|Height||2.4 m (7.87 ft)|
|Life expectancy||The exact lifespan of this dinosaur is unknown. But they existed 75 million years ago.|
|Legs used to get around||Quadrupedal|
|Estimated top speed||Due to its weight, it is assumed that Saichania is a very slow-moving dinosaur.|
|When they lived||Saichania used to exist about 75 million years ago during the late Cretaceous period.|
|Where they have been found?||Saichania inhabited the lands of China and Mongolia in warm and arid areas. They used to settle in desert areas, dry woodlands and scrublands. Paleontologists believed that they shared their habitats with Tarchia and Zaraapelta.|
When & Where
The first-ever Saichania fossils were discovered in the 1970s in Mongolia and it was later on described and named Saichania chulsanensis in the year 1977 by Polish Paleontologist, Teresa Maryanska. The fossils recovered were not in a good condition, making it hard for the paleontologists to describe them in detail and with less accuracy. Alongside its discoveries were the remains of Protoceratops, Tarbosaurus and Velociraptor.
Size & Weight
Saichania measures 5.2 m to 7.0 m (17 ft to 23 ft) in length and 2.4 m (7.87 ft) tall. It is also a heavyweight dinosaur measuring about 2 tons.
Mobility & Diet
Since they are herbivores, they used to feast on plants, leaves, shrubs, herbs, flowers, or any soft plant materials. They are also identified to be moderately aggressive. They will be able to defend themselves with such great body armor however if their opponents flip them, it will be hard to defend themselves.
- One interesting fact about Saichania is it had a more robust build than the other Ankylosaurian types. Their body is flat and low-flung and stands using their four short legs.
- It’s also one of the dinosaurs you can create in the “Jurassic Park III: Park Builder” game.
- Saichania also appeared in the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom movie as a skull displayed in the Lockwood Manor.
- Saichania used to live in desert environments.
- Paleontologists were able to recover 3 different specimens of this dinosaur.
- It is said that they have a very tough palate and complicated air passages throughout their skull.
- Some paleontologists believed that they had such nasal passages because it is used to retain moisture since they were living in a very dry climate.
- It is believed that Saichania got extinct because of natural disasters like meteor attacks.